Company Ready...

Apparently Facebook doesn't think much of my housekeeping skills. It's probably been peeking at the background of my photos. Today my newsfeed listed this article with the title "How to get your home ready for company in less than an hour".

I read it and got a good laugh. Obviously there were no kids factored into the equation. Little people under the age of two are universally good at two things: spreading germs and making messes. The article never mentioned picking up the scattered toys from the floor of every room, or wiping off baby fingerprints from every shiny surface, or getting that marker off the tabletop. Perhaps most importantly, there was no mention of how to find this elusive, uninterrupted hour in order to attempt this speed clean. If I really want to have a clean house, I start first thing in the morning. Everyday house life doesn't stop because company is coming. Kids still need to play, to be fed, and to be changed. I still have hours to put in for work and the grocery shopping doesn't do itself. And anything under two feet that you clean in the morning WILL have to be cleaned again during naptime and maybe one more time before the doorbell rings.

I am too social to let a thing like a clean house get in my way, and since even loading the dishwasher often leaves me in need of a sit-down (yes, I know I sound like i'm 100), I have become the queen of lowering my standards. During pregnancy I am tragically unapologetic for the disastrous state of my house. Those who have been inside our home these past few months have seen what happens when two little people run wild all day while I lay on the couch making a baby. It hasn't been pretty, but so far they keep coming back.

Many days it does bug me that the house is never clean. There are areas of the floor in our room I haven't seen since last spring. Yes, be shocked; I'm not proud of it, but that is the truth. One day I will raise my standards again and, although nobody will be taking pictures for pinterest, a clean house is something I might have on a regular basis. However, as long as my house is blessed with the noise and love of little ones, I'm pretty sure we will never be company ready in an hour. And that is not something to be sad about because this is what I've traded it for:

(Yes, Olivia is feeding Paige yogurt and yes, it got messy)



Comments

Popular Posts